Personal Tax Specialists

tax deductions for nurses and health professionals

PTS Hero TaxAccountant
Nurses, midwives, and direct carers (nurses aides) make sure your return is correct. Check our guide below for the tax deductions you are allowed to claim. Also make sure you have the correct records for each of your claims. If you need advice, contact us at

If you work as a nurse or other health professional, in a hospital, agency, or private practice, some of the nursing tax deductions you may be able to claim on your personal tax return are:

Meals and Travel

  • The cost of buying meals when you work overtime, provided you have been paid an allowance by your employer (you can claim for your meals without having to keep any receipts, provided you can show how you have calculated the amount you spent).
  • The cost of parking, tolls, taxis, and public transport if you are required to travel to attend seminars, conferences, meetings, and training courses not held at your usual place of work. You may also claim for travelling costs if you are travelling between two or more jobs (if you need to stay away overnight, you can also claim for the cost of all meals and your accommodation).
  • The cost of using your own car for work, including travel to attend meetings, conferences, or training courses that are not held at your workplace, between two different jobs, or to visit patients at their homes (to claim for car costs, it is usually best to keep a diary record of the number of kilometres you travel during the year for work purposes, and then we can calculate the amount of your nursing tax deduction at the end of the year).

Work Clothing

  • The cost of buying uniforms (including shirts, pants, skirts, jackets, jumpers, stockings, socks, and shoes – but only where they are an essential part of a distinctive compulsory uniform, the characteristics of which – colour, style, type – are specified in your employer’s uniform policy, or where each item has the employer’s logo on it).
  • Non-slip nursing shoes (even if these are not part of a compulsory uniform).
  • The cost of laundry, dry cleaning, or repairs of your uniforms.


  • Other tax deductions for nurses include the cost of work-related training courses (for example first aid, OH&S, wound-care, treatment updates, and conferences) provided they relate to your CURRENT work. You can claim a tax deduction for the cost of any course fees, books, stationery, internet connection, telephone calls, tools or equipment, and travelling to and from the course. You can also claim any accommodation and meal expenses you have to pay if you are required to stay away overnight for your course.
  • The cost of self-education courses run by a University (not including HECS/HELP fees) or TAFE, for example Midwifery qualifications, provided they relate to your CURRENT work. If you are studying, you can also claim for the cost of books, stationery, equipment, and travel required for your course.

Work Equipment

  • The cost of buying and repairing equipment you use at work may be claimed as a health care worker tax deduction, including medical equipment and tools, electronic organisers, computers, and mobile phones.
  • The cost of stationery, diary, log book, or briefcase.

Other Work Expenses

Other expenses that nurses and health care workers can claim as tax deductions include:

  • The cost of union fees.
  • The cost of professional memberships and subscriptions.
  • The cost of renewing your annual practising certificate.
  • The cost of agency commissions or agency fees.
  • The cost of work-related books, magazines, and journals.
  • The cost of work-related mobile or home telephone calls and rental (you should keep a diary record of the number of phone calls you make for work for one month and then we can use that to estimate your usage for the whole year).
  • The cost of work-related internet connection fees (you can only claim a tax deduction for the proportion of your monthly fees that relate to work use, which could include emailing, research relating to your job, or training).
  • The cost of a fob watch (but not a conventional watch).

General Expenses

There are some tax deductions that all nurses and health care employees can claim on their personal tax returns:

  • The amount of any donations to registered charities (as long as you haven’t received anything in return for your donation, such as raffle tickets or novelty items).
  • The cost of bank fees charged on any investment accounts.
  • You can claim a deduction on the cost of income protection or sickness and accident insurance premiums (this type of insurance covers you if you hurt yourself (including when you are not at work) or become sick and you are unable to work. It will pay you your normal wage until you are fit to return to work – if you don’t have this insurance you should see a financial adviser, or you can ask us and we will refer you to someone who can organise it for you. It is definitely worthwhile).
  • Your tax agent fees (the amount you pay to your accountant to prepare your tax return each year).
  • The cost of travelling to see your tax agent (you can claim for the cost of travelling to see your accountant to have your tax return prepared. You should keep a record of the number of kilometres you travel and any other incidental costs such as parking, meals, accommodation, etc.)

We suggest that you keep receipts for all purchases that are work related, even if they are not listed above. That way, when we prepare your tax return, we can decide whether you are allowed to claim a tax deduction for them or not.

Nurses and healthcare professionals have a range of tax deductions available to them. Make sure you’re claiming everything you legally can. If you would like any more information about the deductions listed or if you would like the Personal Tax Specialists team to prepare your tax return for you to ensure you maximise your claims this year, contact us at or get started by lodging your tax return online now.

Lodge your tax return online

Submit the form and we’ll get you started with our simple, 5 step process.


Let's get started!

Submit your return online. With our 5-step process you can complete your tax return at your convenience.
It’s simple, quick and secure. No need to book a time with an accountant. Just follow the steps, submit the form and our expert tax agents will take care of your submission and ensure you’re claiming all the deductions you should be.
Click to get started.