Personal Tax Specialists

tax deductions for flight attendants

PTS Hero TaxAccountant

If you work as a flight attendant, some of the tax deductions you may be able to claim on your personal tax return are:

Meal and Travel

  • The cost of buying meals when you work overtime, provided you have been paid an allowance by your employer (you can claim for your meals without having to keep any receipts, provided you can show how you have calculated the amount you spent)
  • The cost of meals and incidental expenses, including visa application fees, when you are required to stay away overnight (if you receive an allowance from your employer, you can claim the full amount of that allowance provided it is shown on your PAYG payment summary). If you didn’t receive an allowance, you should keep receipts to prove the amount you have spent on meals and accommodation
  • The cost of parking, tolls, taxis and public transport if you are required to travel to attend seminars, meetings and training courses (if you need to stay away overnight you can also claim for the cost of all meals and your accommodation)
  • The cost of using your own car for work, including travel to attend meetings or attend training courses that are not held at your usual workplace (to claim for car costs it is usually best to keep a diary record of the number of kilometres you travel during the year for work purposes and then we can calculate the amount of your tax deduction at the end of the year)

Work Clothing

  • The cost of buying uniforms (including shirts, pants, skirts, jackets, jumpers, stockings, socks and shoes – but only where they are an essential part of a distinctive compulsory uniform, the characteristics of which—colour, style, type—are specified in your employer’s uniform policy)
  • The cost of laundry, dry cleaning or repairs of your uniforms
  • The cost of buying re-hydrating moisturisers and hair conditioners (this does not include make-up), sun glasses and sunscreen if you are required to work in the sun (for example on the tarmac to assist passengers when boarding)


  • The cost of work-related short training courses, for example first aid, OH&S, RSA updates, food and beverage service, foreign languages (provided this is required as part of your current job). You can claim for the cost of course fees (but not HECS or HELP), books, stationery, internet connection, telephone calls, tools or equipment and travelling to and from the course. You can also claim any accommodation and meal expenses you have to pay if you are required to stay away overnight for your course.

Work Equipment

  • The cost of buying and repairing equipment you use at work, including electronic organisers, luggage, overnight bags, luggage trolleys and mobile phones
  • The cost of stationery, diary, log book or briefcase

Other Work Expenses

  • The cost of annual association membership fees or union fees (for example FAAA membership fees)
  • The cost of work-related books, magazines and journals (these could include customer service, safety, first aid, foreign languages)
  • The cost of work-related mobile or home telephone calls and rental (you should keep a diary record of the number of phone calls you make for work for one month and then we can use that to estimate your usage for the whole year)
  • The cost of work-related internet connection fees (you can only claim the proportion of your monthly fees that relate to work use, which could include emailing, research relating to your job, checking schedules)
  • The cost of making up cash or bar shortages

General Expenses

There are some tax deductions that all employees can claim on their personal tax returns:

  • The amount of any donations to registered charities (as long as you haven’t received anything in return for your donation, such as raffle tickets or novelty items)
  • The cost of bank fees charged on any investment accounts
  • The cost of income protection or sickness and accident insurance premiums (this type of insurance covers you if you hurt yourself (including when you are not at work) or become sick and you are unable to work. It will pay you your normal wage until you are fit to return to work – if you don’t have this insurance you should see a financial adviser or ask us and we will refer you to someone who can organise it for you. It is definitely worthwhile)
  • Your tax agent fees (the amount you pay to your accountant to prepare your tax return each year)
  • The cost of travelling to see your tax agent (you can claim the cost of travelling to see your accountant to have your tax return prepared. You should keep a record of the number of kilometres you travel and any other incidental costs such as parking, meals, accommodation etc)

We suggest that you keep receipts for all purchases that are work related, even if they are not listed above. That way, when we prepare your tax return, we can decide whether you are allowed to claim a tax deduction for them or not.

If you would like any more information about the deductions listed or if you would like the Personal Tax Specialists team to prepare your tax return for you to ensure you maximise your claims this year, contact us at

Lodge your tax return online

Submit the form and we’ll get you started with our simple, 5 step process.


Let's get started!

Submit your return online. With our 5-step process you can complete your tax return at your convenience.
It’s simple, quick and secure. No need to book a time with an accountant. Just follow the steps, submit the form and our expert tax agents will take care of your submission and ensure you’re claiming all the deductions you should be.
Click to get started.